Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pineapple Vinegar Part 1 Day 1

Day 1
0 Recipe Completed
1 Projects in progress

I have a meatloaf throwdown coming up on march 6th and was going to try for a Hawaiian twist, naturally I have a fresh pineapple ready for the test progress. I figured I would make good of the scraps I remember reading a cookbook and seeing you can use the left over pineapple to make vinegar, I then quickly took a small nap and when I woke up I quickly got on the computer and researched what it takes to make pineapple vinegar from scratch.  The process I had remembered was a open air fermentation that allows natural yeast and bacterias that are in the air to get into the mix and start the fermentation progress that will soon turn to alcohol then to vinegar. The whole thing is amazingly easy and can be done almost in thin air, yet that is what I am expecting I have never done this before.

The recipe I am using is as followed:
1 Quart Water
¼ Cup Sugar
Rind with a little flesh of a ripe pineapple

Glass Jar
Cloth

Start by washing out glass jar, you can sterilize it with boiling water if you like, my understanding is you don’t need to do this process like with canning. Slice up a pineapple and use it as you would like, keeping the scraps that you normally toss into garbage without thinking. Cut the pineapple rind into small pieces they don’t have to be tiny, add them to a jar with water and ¼ cup sugar and give it a good stir tell sugar is dissolved. Place cloth over top of jar and secure it with a rubber band or string place in a dark place. I placed mine in a hallway closet so I am not thinking about it and have the need to mess with it. I will check it in a week and write a follow up on the process.




No comments:

Post a Comment