Monday, March 5, 2012

Salsa Quemada Recipe


Day 6
4 Recipe Completed
2 Projects in progress

I know salsa is one of those things that every buddy thinks they make the best, a little secret those peoples pallets are as good as a cows backside. Maybe that is a little to far, I do love trash talking when it comes to competition. And this recipe I am sharing was in two cookwithnick throwdowns, came in second both times. Ya ya I know second is not as good as first, I just don’t have an excuse other than the judges sucks. Now that I pissed off some of my friends that judged and are reading this I will get back on track. This salsa was one I learned in Tempe, AZ. I can not remember the exact way it was made but the general idea and ingredients. I been making it for years now modifying it a little each time tell I have a recipe that is just as amazing as the original.

Salsa Quemada
3 Pounds Roma Tomatoes
6 Serrano Chilies
1 Large green onion (I use the Mexican or barbecuing onions the ones with the large bulb at the end) 
1 Tbs chopped garlic 
2 tsp salt 
1 Bunch of cilantro 
1 tsp pepper 
juice of 2 limes


Put the green onion and cilantro aside. Cut the tomatoes in half and dice the garlic. In a large skillet on med high, heat a brush with olive oil and sear the tomato halves until they are nice and dark on the bottoms, then flip them over and do the outside. If you have a blow torch, that will work great for searing the outside of the tomatoes. Remove them and set them aside. Add a little more oil and place the chilies in and sear them until all of the sides are brown and the chilies are soft to touch; right before you pull the chilies out, throw the green onion in and fry it just until it's soft and begins to sweat. In a food processor, add the tomatoes, green onions, cilantro chilies, and garlic and blend until everything is about uniform in size. Once it's all blended, add the white pepper, salt, water, and lime juice, adjust the salt to taste. Place in the fridge over night to let the flavors mix well, giving you an overall better taste.



The throwdowns were fun and a lot of amazing and unusual salsas where entered so check them out HERE. If you have a great salsa recipe or ideas post it in the comments bellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment